If you've been trying your hand at a few new recipes during lockdown, you may have learnt one thing – risotto is a tricky dish. As delicious and rich, it's equal parts hard to master without over-burning and under-cooking. So, we have a treat for you – in the form of another recipe from Eight Restaurant's legendary Chef Volker Marecek.
Sharing his Creamy Chicken Risotto recipe, Chef Volker has nailed the ratios to create a perfectly creamy, seasoned, and rich risotto. Keep reading to find out Chef Volker's secrets to making it the very best dish of your lockdown!
Creamy Chicken Risotto
What You'll Need:
1 x medium onion, finely chopped
500g skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into 1 cm pieces
200g risotto rice
400ml chicken stock
150ml white wine
Handful of fresh parsley leaves, chopped
100g Baby peas
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook the onion until it is tender.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir until well coated with the butter.
- Add a little of the chicken stock (about ½ a cup) to the pan and stir until it has been absorbed. Continue to add the stock, a little at a time, stirring until the liquid is absorbed before adding the cream and white wine. After approximately 20 minutes, all of the stock will be used and the rice will be just tender to the bite.
Chef Tip The trick is to take your time to gently stir the rice. This will ensure the starch is released from the rice, giving the creamy mouthfeel of a traditional risotto.
- Stir through the chicken and grated parmesan (and peas - optional). Continue to cook the risotto for a minute or two more until the chicken has heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve in bowls and top with extra parmesan (and parsley - optional) if desired.