Looking for the next perfect winter warmer as we head into colder days? We know just the event that will get you toasty this season! The Great New Zealand Toastie Takeover has returned for 2020, with more than 80 eateries across the country taking part!
What exactly is the Toastie Takeover? It's no secret New Zealanders grow up on the humble toasted sandwich, but who says they can't be gourmet? Hosted by Cook & Nelson and McClure's Pickles, the Toastie Takeover sees restaurants, bars, cafes, restaurants, supermarket counters, breweries, and hole-in-the-wall eateries create unique toastie combinations, competing for the title of Best NZ Toastie.
Last year's winner, Hokitika Sandwich Company, took it out with their corned beef, McClure's sweet & spicy pickles, harvati, cream cheese, red onion, and in-house sauce creation.
This year, there are 83 eateries up and down New Zealand taking part, which means we'll be eating a lot of toasties this month.
Some Auckland favourites in the running include Burger Boy's Gouda-Boy pastrami toastie, Akarana Eatery's waffle braised beef and cheese curd toastie, Good George North Wharfs's Cheeseburger toastie, Vondel's vegan sausage toastie, and Longroom's smoked pork belly and kimchi creation. Check out the full list of New Zealand locations here.
Each toastie must adhere to the following criteria: Toasties must be sandwiched between two slices of bread and be able to be eaten by hand if necessary. The toasties must also contain cheese, pickles from McClure’s delicious range, with all other sandwich elements left up to the participating cafes’ imagination.
Each toastie will be scored on a set criteria, including presentation, effectiveness of preparation technique, eatability, taste, innovation and originality.
Semi-finalists will be announced Monday, August 3rd, giving you a month to get out and try as many as you can! Did someone say road trip?
Think you'd be a stand-out in the toastie competition? The Great NZ Toastie Takeover invites you to try your hand at creating an at-home winning combination for the chance to win a year's supply of McClure's Pickles. Simply post a photo of your toastie on any social media with the hashtag #toastietakeover to enter.
UPDATE 06/08/20 The Top Twelve Toastie Finalists Have Been Announced
- Jemima's Kitchen (Auckland): Jemima’s Throwback - Smashed angus patty with house made tomato relish, McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles and Swiss cheese.
- Cheese On Toast (Auckland): The Grilled Cheese Burger - Caramelized beef mince, tomato jam, McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles, mustard and white onion with a three-cheese blend toasted up on house made sourdough.
- Hayes Common (Hamilton): South of the “Bombay” sarnie - Meyer fenugreek Gouda,McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles, mozzarella, mint, chaat Masala, spinach and cucumber made with Volare turmeric and cumin loaf topped with a crispy onion and McClure’s Picklebhaji, and spicy tamarind sauce.
- Flock Kitchen & Bar (Tairua): Flockin Good iDEER - Sourdough bread, house made brie, venison, house made plum chutney, McClure's Spicy Pickles, baby spinach served with house made potato chips.
- Replete Cafe & Store (Taupo): The Rogan - Indian spiced lamb, paneer, mango chutney with McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles on paratha.
- Bay Espresso Karamu Road (Hastings): Jackfruit "Taco" Toastie - BBQ jackfruit, vegan friendly cheese, crunchy coleslaw, and spicy picklenaise sauce made from McClure's Sweet & Spicy pickles.
- Fix & Fogg Eva Street Window (Wellington): Fix & Fogg's 'Stay Toastie' - Spicy smoke and fire peanut butter, McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles, cheese, rocket and an extra spicy kick.
- Ten O'Clock Cookie Bakery Cafe (Masterton): Sweet & Spicy Pork Toastie - BBQ pulled pork, Mclure’sMcClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles,fresh pineapple, gooey cheese & crunchy red onion stacked in thick home made artisan bread.
- Civil & Naval (Lyttleton): The ¼ Pack is Back -Civil fried chicken with McClure's Garlic & Dill Pickles, Frank's hot slaw, mashed potato bread, golden ale gravy.
- Earl Bistro (Christchurch): Toastie Muff'aletta - shaved salamis & meats, ‘nduja butter, McClure’s Garlic & Dill Pickles, olive, provolone, buffalo mozzarella, winter pesto, & house crisps in a milk bun.
- Love Chicken (Queenstown): The Southern - 3 Cheese mac & cheese, Southern-style fried organic free-range chicken & McClure’sMcClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles.
- Hungry Hobos (Dunedin): The Bat Out of Hell - Homemade meatloaf (Grandma's recipe), with creamy mashed potato and gravy, layered with McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles and aged-cheddar, toasted between our herb-buttered ciabatta.
The Supreme Winner will be announced Wednesday, 3rd September. In the meantime, get to trying them all and picking your own winner!